- At present, local resident companies and nationals can secure the registration of their trademarks by filing an application before The Ministry of Economic Development, Maldives.
- But, prior to obtaining the trademark registration, it is mandatory for the resident companies and nationals to obtain business name registration.
The basic requirements and procedures for successful registration of trademarks in the Maldives are as follows:
- Before registering a business name/trademark a name search has to be carried out. Upon confirmation of availability, the business is required to be reserved. The reservation is valid for fourteen (14) days.
- Business name registration.
- Trademark Registration.
- Incorporation Certificate.
- Power of Attorney (POA) duly notarized.
It is important to note that the trademark registration is registered or renewed for a maximum period of sixty (60) months, upon payment of applicable official fees which is calculated on a monthly basis.
In addition to this, The Copyright and Related Rights Law was passed in October 2010 and became effective in April 2011. With the passage of Copyright Law, literary and artistic works are now protected, and a registration system for these works has been established within the Ministry.
The Ministry is currently working on the key pieces of legislation to protect the other essential part of the Intellectual Property – industrial property rights.